Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Sound of Swayze

1991

No it's not Vinyl but it's a special occasion so there are rules to be broken. Its hard to keep track of music releases, especially soundtracks, and when they are for movies from 17 odd years ago, what do you do ?
So i was very excited to see the full score for Point Break was recently released - if only in a limited number of 2000. Its a beautiful soundtrack, soaring waves of early 90's electronica mixed with epic orchestral sound, and its of course now all the more poignant and beautiful by the sad untimely passing of Patrick Swayze.



Isham says in the liner notes that he made sure that the music supported Bodhi's philosophy of life. Can one live effectively totally 'on the edge' or how does one be responsible to the dynamics of life, but still have certain levels of freedom of choice?
For me this is Swayze's greatest performance and rightly or wrongly I'll always associate him with the role. I was at a party in Santa Monica a few years back and there he was with his acre's of hair, with the ocean in the background i almost expected to see Roach and Nathanial not far behind. I couldn't bring myself to say hello, i was after all in the presence of the Bodhisattva, a Bodhisattva in a leather bolero jacket.

"Little hand says it’s time to rock and roll!"

2 comments:

Robert said...

Hi Matt - always pleasure to read your latest posts. I've never seen Point Break but sounds like I should and give the soundtrack a spin too.

visit sounds around said...

thanks rob , i'm trying to improve with my one post a year. I think its a decent action movie, very well done and holds up after all these years. or just watch it for swayze in his element!